[OM] Re: anyone use Manfrotto 458B with 468MGRC4 head

Subject: [OM] Re: anyone use Manfrotto 458B with 468MGRC4 head
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:11:45 -0800
Jay Drew wrote:
> I'll second Moose's choice of the 410 head.  I have to, I got one on his
> advice.
> I have an Acratech Ball head and I use the geared head more.  The Acratech is
> much lighter, but for macro work a ball head will drive you nuts.  I've found
> the ball head more difficult to setup for level in two axis than the geared
> head.  It does sit higher than my ball head so if I am doing very low to the
> ground work, the Acratech gets closer to the ground.

For that, you need Walt's other macro trick tripod/mount pieces, A
Cullmann extension arm and Manfrotto 3025 head.
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Walt/Cullmann/
> I mount an Acratech/Arca Swiss quick release on top of the 410 plate, so I can
> switch easily between the two heads.  I have another 410 plate with a focusing
> rail mounted on it.

Excellent idea! Next B&H order will include another 410 plate.
> So Walt started this geared club?  Well he'll be glad to know my shot for his
> TOPE was on a geared head.

Indeed! He had the big brother 405 head, of course.
> Jay - Maybe two heads aren't better than one?

At least three. :-)

Moose