[OM] Lowly lenses for lovely photos

Subject: [OM] Lowly lenses for lovely photos
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:51:43 +0100
I've just had enough time to scan a few pictures dating back to this late
September.

These pictures (rather candid shots, nothing too 'artistic') were taken with
two lenses only: a G.Zuiko 35mm f/2.8 and an E.Zuiko 100mm f/2.8. Film is a
no-name 100 ISO bought at a local supermarket.

Results were (poorly) scanned with an Epson 3170, hence they're softer than
the original prints and have loadsa color cast that I managed (with scarce
results) to remove during post-process.

Add that at a given point I thought the film was not hooked on the spool and
hence I opened the camera back only to see that everything was OK, burning
some uninteresting frames (luckily) but leaving others with bad light leaks
which added a lot to the (unwanted) color casts...

No new news in saying that sharpness and contrast of both lenses are
amazing: the 100mm f/2.8 bokeh is really astounding, a definite step beyond
the 35mm f/2.8 one, which is a little too 'harsher'.

Both lenses costed me (used) some 100+ Euros years ago.

The 35mm f/2.8 was won at an eBay auction which sported no pictures of the
lens itself: when it reached my door it turned out to have lots of small
scratches on the front lens, a dented filter ring, a stiff diaphragm ring
and a little play when mounted on the camera...

In addition, I saw a little 'critter' moving up and down through the lens
elements. It looked like a reddish spider and was probably a long time
companion of the lens. Now he (she? it?) is gone for greener pastures. Gotta
check if his (her? its?) nephews are now living somewhere else in my camera
bag... :)

Had no hope to take decent pictures with that lens, but I was wrong.

Nevertheless, during the years, this small beater turned out to be one of my
favourite lenses. Even if it ain't multicoated, it can decently stand the
direct sun in the frame: and when it gets pushed beyond its limits, flare
and ghost images tend to appear but without degrading contrast too much. And
they can be quite functional to the picture itself, in some cases! :)

Interesting enough, the 100mm f/2.8 showed little (or none at all) chromatic
aberrations in strong contrast areas: judge by yourself by looking at
pictures with the sea in the background. I was expecting the opposite, as it
basically is a squashed down version of the 180mm f/2.8 which is indeed
(in)famous for that reason...

Well, that's all: gotta loadsa of film / slides to scan and no time to do it
at all. This would be my only reason for moving to digital (if ever).

Pictures can be seen at:

[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/tags/chico/ ]

They all show my young little son Federico (~3 years old) and my wife
Stefania during a trip to Fiumicino (a sea town near Rome where the main
roman airport is: it was interesting to see planes landing and taking off at
just a few hundred meters from us!).

Hope you'll enjoy them!

Regards

Fabio

--
The definitive answer to the meaning of life, universe and everything else
is: 42.