[OM] Semi OT: Jellyfish

Subject: [OM] Semi OT: Jellyfish
From: <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 4:17:15 -0600
Hi folks,

I apologize in advance if the existence of Jellyfish is old news.

The other day a member of the List (Larry maybe) made a comment something to
the effect that it would be nice if web sites with click-through links to
vendors would share the revenue from those clicks with the individuals doing
the clicking.  Well, while browsing a Nikon forum last night I came across a
reference to Jellyfish <www.jellyfish.com>.  As it turns out Jellyfish is a
shopping bot site where you enter the search terms for an item that you'd like
to purchase and you get a list of links to vendors and prices. Of course, sites
that offer that service are a dime a dozen these days but what makes Jellyfish
unique is that the vendors give Jellyfish a percent of the purchase price back
as a rebate and Jellyfish shares half (I believe) of that rebate with the
purchaser.  For example, right now the purchaser rebates from Adorama and B&H
are 3% and 2.5% respectively.

To sweeten the kitty a little more they also have a referral program where, if
someone refers you to Jellyfish, for 12 months they will also get a rebate
equal to 1/2 of the one that you receive.  So, you can sign up your spouse or
SO first and then use them as a reference when you sign up so that your total
rebate from Adorama, for example, would be 4 1/2%.

One downside to the service is that vendors with bad reputations, such as Abes
of Maine, will be listed along with the good guys like B&H and Adorama so you
need to know your vendors and not just click on the lowest price.  Another
downside is that, to protect themselves against returns, there's up to a 60 day
delay before the rebates are credited to your account.  Also, they don't issue
checks unless there's at least a $10 balance in your account.

Anyway, hope this tip saves y'all some bucks on those E3s and 12-60mm zooms
that you're about to purchase.  :-)

Later,
Johnny
Johnny Johnson