[OM] Re: Is the emperor called hyperfocal distance that well dressed?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is the emperor called hyperfocal distance that well dressed?
From: "iwert bernakiewicz" <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:04:33 +0100

> Always learning something new from you and this list.
>
> Found that there's only a story which says this was craved at the
> entrance:
>
> "Let none ignorant of geometry enter here."

well, THAT sounds more like it! geometry is very much underrated in our
school system nowadays.
(which is clearly visible in our belgian "modern" surroundings, these are
more like "mathematics" :).

And no, I do like mathematics (and am not bad at it either). What I meant
earlier about complicated i related to other themes in my professional
suroundings, and I had a grumpy morning with three kids with VERRRY much
their own will.

At the moment Europe obliges us, University Colleges to "academise". Result
is that only "doctors in architecture" will be able to teach our students.
So we'll get all these people who aren't clever enough to build who will
teach new people how to build. The first batch arrived and thinks it is
really unnecessary to teach bachelors drawing, observation of context, form
studies or the art of composition. It takes too much time and you know,
these computer programs do all this... No our bachelors should start right
away doing research (and designing a plan is NOT research to them). And
everything should be objective as well, as if the Pantheon is objective. It
is a marvellous piece of built environment. No, they want to translate a
beguinage into mathematics. I recognise this is ONE way to see reality, and
it is even usefull, but it is not the ONLY way reaity can be described. Nah!
Please leave them to the University, we'll cope our own way, and do some
usefull research, around real problems...

Or put another way:

*
*

La science n'est pas la seule voie d'accès à la Vérité.

*L'amour, la poésie, la forme, le rêve… sont aussi des formes du savoir.*

*
*

*(Alquié, Ferdinand (1982, 27 juin) 'Le Savoir Affectif' Le Monde Dimanche, 27
juin 1982,   p.xi)*

*
*

*