[OM] Re: Happy Chanukah to all that celebrate it

Subject: [OM] Re: Happy Chanukah to all that celebrate it
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:51:25 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> - And still believe in the Rule of Thirds. -

As with other religious tenents, I take this as useful advice to be
considered.
> - Above the sound of incessant sighing. -

Yours? Mine? Whose?

Not much of a sigher myself. Closer to the almost relentlessly cheerful
and upbeat, especially where matters of soul and spirit are concerned.
The which don't concern you, so why bother yourself with concerns about
the spiritual experiences of others?

Thinking about taking up missionary work on the behalf of Nihilism?
> - While dealing with obnoxious turds. -

Turds is turds, a necessary part of the process of living.
> Could I speak to your inner grinch please
I've already grinched once this week, quite enough. I know yours is more
than capable of taking up the slack.
>  - the one that knows that your heart is a pump and the tightness in your
> chest is caused by adrenaline.
That too.
> The one that thinks that Christmas is bad enough so why the hell did we have
> to invent other holidays

Unaccustomed as I am to being an apologist for major religions... In the
interests of accuracy, Chanukah long predates Christmas. I don't recall
when the Christians decided to usurp the birthday of Mithras (God of an
important Roman cult in the early days.) for their Savior, but it's got
to be 500+ years after the Maccabees victory and re-dedication of the
Temple in Jerusalem.
>  so that everyone gets to be a nuisance as well.

Sounds like you manage to do that pretty well yourself. ;-)

I'm not much of a believer in Christmas myself, but see no reason to
intrude on the celebrations of others. Now that my children are grown, I
largely eschew participation in the commercial aspects. I don't find it
in me to disagree with "Peace on Earth and good will to men.", in spite
of my theo/pholosophical suspicions about peace.

When invited to participate in the celebrations of the season, I often
participate wholeheartedly. Celebration with family and friends,
strangers even, is one of the joys of human existence. Next week, I'll
be largely ignoring the silly words while deeply enjoying the divine
music as the Corale in which Carol Anne uses her lovely voice has their
annual Carols and Advent Lessons concert.

Humbugs have less fun? Well at least less obvious fun. :-)

Moose