[OM] Re: E-3 happiness

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 happiness
From: Ton Maas <tonmaas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:03:19 +0100
Dear all,

Sorry for abrubtly coming out of my normal lurking mode, but I need
to share in the happiness :-)

Got my new E-3 last week, together with the 12-60, a combination
which is offered as a "kit" over here in the Netherlands. First
impressions are very positive indeed, although a lot of studying the
manual seems necessary to figure out the routines most needed - such
as setting the dials to EV-corr/P-shift. As I used my E-1 intensively
for concert photography (being a music reviewer), I was particularly
curious about the E-3's high ISO performance, the usefulness of IS
and shutter/mirror noise. Well, I must say that in the latter
department I was definitely not amused. The sound of the
shutter/mirror combination is (subjectively) quite a bit louder and
especially more metallic in character than the gentle clicking of the
E-1. That's a definite bummer. High ISO performance OTOH looks
seriously improved and the IS (in its "1" position) proved very
helpful, even to the point where subject-related motion becomes a
problem. Without having had a chance to delve deeper into the matter,
I was surprised to see that (subjectively) similar stage light levels
seemed to generate "lower" readings than with the E-1. Can it be that
IS has an influence in that department?

AF performance too is greatly improved. Not just with the 12-60, but
also with the 50-200 and even the problematic (in that department at
least) DZ 2.0/50. After having given up on AF with the E-1, I find
myself using AF-S+MF most of the time now!

Grtz from Amsterdam,

Ton