[OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:44:23 -0800 (PST)
Hard to know what to use unless you know what kind of plastic you are gluing?
If it is ABS plastic then using an ABS plumbers pipe glue works really well.

The common Gorilla glue is a polyurethane humidity activated glue, meant mainly
for wood working
but they do sell other glues under that label.  I would guess that is not a
good choice.

The regular cyanoacrilate on it's own is not strong for a gap, but if you use a
cyanoacrilate gel
it fills gaps easily, but is not super strong either, unless you use it with an
accelerator. Most
cyanoacrilates will work with "unmatched" cyanoacrilate accelerators, so I
always just mix and
match. I use the accelerator that comes with Loctite "Tak Pak" electronics
cyanoacrilate range and
combine with a any gel like Loctite or Duro brand.  Search through hardware
store for a two part
cyanoacrilate and use the accelerator from the pack combined with any
cyanoacrilate gel.
"Professional" Cyanoacrilate Gels that activate/cure with a UV exposure are
really good, but not
easily availible and need a light source or bright sunlight to activate. They
are available in
flexible as well as hard types.

Epoxies can be good if the surface is not too smooth or too flexible. Rapid set
ones are not as
strong but are more flexible. Reinforce with fibreglass matt, makes them much,
much stronger.  if
you know the plastic type, search the loctite website and find a list of
suggested compatible
adhesives.

Tim Hughes