[OM] Re: [OT] Single stage snowblowers, was plastic repair.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Single stage snowblowers, was plastic repair.
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:38:14 -0400

> The owner of the 5-1/2 horse single stage that I mentioned also has a
> drive of about 100 foot length plus a parking area for four cars at the
> end.  The key according to him is not the total horsepower but the
> increased efficiency of the single stage design.  Average seasonal
> snowfall for Saratoga County, NY is 62".  Maximum snow depth for the
> period 1960-1990 was 42".  If you tell me you've actually tried one and
> it didn't work I'll hush my mouth. :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Even if this list was useless for photography, it would still be worth
reading for all the good off topic advice. Where else can you get this
amount of information on batteries, glue, snowblowers, SUV's, guns (okay,
guess Walt is gone), etc., that you can trust to be sensible information?

Anyways, I've never had a snowblower, even though I've lived in Canada all
my life. On the farm where I grew up, we always had tractors with snowplows
and front-end loaders with snowbuckets, so a snowblower was not needed. But
now I don't have access to a tractor, and sometimes have to move a fair
amount with a shovel.
Actually, right where I live now, we are fairly close to salt water, and we
don't normally get a lot of snow accumulation, maybe less than a foot or
two. But in the last 2 days, we got more in this first storm of the year,
than I think we had all last year.

I don't really know about single stage versus dual stage blowers, but I'll
definitely be looking into it. The track versus wheels thing sounds
interesting, except that I imagine wheels are easier and cheaper to
maintain. It would be awfully nice not to have to mix gas, not only for the
bother, but I hate breathing the fumes from 2 cycle engines. And it would
need to be able to churn through the stuff the road plow rolls into the end
of the driveway for sure. Any more info is certainly appreciated.

Wayne