[OM] Re: [OT] Single stage snowblowers, was plastic repair.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Single stage snowblowers, was plastic repair.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:46:11 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Wayne Culberson wrote:

> I was wondering about the turning issue with tracks. It makes sense that it
> would be hard to twist around, especially as they typically weigh over 200
> lbs.

Just like a real 4x4, you're not supposed to use them on dry pavement (why
would you use a snowblower on dry pavement? :-).  In snow it's not a problem,
just keep the tracks moving and push to the side you want to turn, the
snowblower will turn easily.  There's no problem getting it to spin in
its tracks.

>       It seems at this point that the single stage one, at about 75 pounds,
> would be far nicer for the cement walkways and paved driveway, especially
> when a storm only leaves 4 to 6 inches of lighter snow. For the heavy
> storms, 12 inches of soggy stuff like came this week, and for clearing the
> stuff the road plow rolls into the end of the driveways and around the
> mailbox, the 2 stage definitely looks better.

That's an accurate summary.  Just remember, you can always fight with a
larger snowblower in a light snowfall but you can't fight a large snowfall
with a light snowblower :-)
                                        -mark