[OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:13:29 -0800
> From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Thursday, December 06, 2007 00:09, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>> ... you might consider welding it:
>>
>>      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592
>>
> I've repaired a number of plastic items by welding them . Since I
> don't have
> one of those plastic welders I've used a a soldering iron.

I've butchered lots of plastic with soldering irons, as well. I'll
tell you, for $30, this tool is MUCH better than a soldering iron! The
technique is very much like acetylene welding, whereas using a
soldering iron is, well, much more like soldering.

With the air welder, you don't actually touch the work with anything,
so the result is much smoother. You can also heat up a larger area,
making a stronger bond. Try it, you'll like it!

It comes with "welding rods" of different colors that are compatible
with the three materials it can handle.

:::: Nothing  will replace what we are burning up quickly now. Every
possible replacement has problems which have received little
publicity. -- Dr. Kenneth Watt ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::