[OM] Re: [OT] Meat diets, was: Continuing Saga of the 1DMkIII

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Meat diets, was: Continuing Saga of the 1DMkIII
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:52:26 +1100
That is a delightful read - well the first part at least as I only
have so much time over breakfast.
('Can I at least have some wasabi with my frozen fish please dear?')
I love his charmingly restrained sense of humour. I was reminded of
the episode in 'Never Cry Wolf' where Farley Mowat attempts to
survive only on mice in a blender, to prove a point about lupine diet.
I had been taught that the Inuit have an enzyme that allows them to
synthesize Vitamin C in particular, given that the only veg. in their
diet is a few berries in Spring. Clearly that is an unnecessary
argument. The idea that we need a balanced and varied diet is more
persistant than he hoped though.
I've long wondered about the inclusion of milk products in the list
of essential 'food groups' when we are perhaps the only animal that
uses it in maturity (although many beaties will cheerfully eat milk
of course). A good food for certain but 'essential'? Not that I'm
about to give up cheese - I'm with Epicurus on that one. Of course
people will argue that Inuit didn't live long enough for osteoporosis
to be a problem but I'm somewhat convinced that overdosing on calcium
enriched milk is counterproductive anyway. And I'm fed up with
opening the fridge at work to find an array of 'girly milks' -
homogenised, low fat, high calcium, vitamin enriched, easy frothing
(for latte) concoctions that taste like a suspension of chalk. When
did milk become medicine?
However, I will be sure to consume plenty of fish oil with my rabbit
stew.
('Pass the boiled blubber dear.')

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx