[OM] Re: Cleaning advise (was New digital film for Zuikos---Canyon 7D?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Cleaning advise (was New digital film for Zuikos---Canyon 7D?)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0800
The problem is that CO2 cylinders are banned from airline flights.
That is why squeeze blowers are popular. I bought the American
Recorder device just before the ban went into effect. It works fine,
but only at home or when transported by a car. Having one method for
air travel and another method for other situations is just more than I
want to deal with. There are also arguments against this high pressure
sort of blast because the high pressure can push dirt into all sorts
of places you do not want it like the viewing system and into the
electronics.

I am not as concerned with the anti-vacuum argument as some others. If
your sensor and other bits have accumulated dust from repeated cycles
of trapping a new load of dust laden air behind the lens which
settles. If vacuuming can remove dust from, say, 20 lens changes and
leaves the equivalent of 2 or 3 lens changes in the mirror box because
of inrushing air, it is a net improvement that is significant. My
problem with it is that most dust sticks a bit and you need both a
vacuum and a brush to dislodge it. My conclusion is that if something
like a sensor brush works, why complicate things?

Stuff that sticks. Sometimes something gets welded to the sensor cover
and I find that alcohol just does not dissolve the "glue" that well.
One of those alcohol free cleaners seems to work with a lot less
pressure to clean off the spot.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA