[OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510

Subject: [OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:41:16 -0500
 From a small part of the Canyon white paper on the technical aspects of
the 5D discussing the focusing system:
Predictive AF can focus track a subject approaching at 186 mph up to 66
feet away with an EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. The EOS 5D camera uses
the same statistical prediction computation as the EOS-1Ds Mark II
camera, incorporating data of past focusing operations. Because it can
repeat more focusing operations in a short length of time, the
predictive AF control can operate effectively from the first shot, even
if a subject is moving erratically or if the subject’s movement changes
just before shutter release. (In this case, as with the EOS-1D Mark II
camera, when focusing is possible, the lens drive is executed based on
the focusing result right before shutter release.) For still subjects,
too, AI SERVO AF is a useful option. Focus control is exceptionally
stable; the lens does not move, even minutely. If the subject should
move unexpectedly, focus detection is always active to enable subject
tracking.

Brides and bar mitzvah boys generally move a whole lot slower than 186
mph so I've never pressed it hard on it's ability to track focus on
moving objects but it sure knows how to focus in the near dark.

Chuck Norcutt