[OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510

Subject: [OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:53:40 -0500
On Thursday, December 13, 2007 19:53, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Boy, I hope this is more than hype. While in Florida, wasting away on
> a condo balcony overlooking the ocean, I spent a good deal of time
> trying to photograph pelicans flying by--well, actually soaring on
> updrafts off the pavement, and I don't think a single shot from the
> 510 and 50-200 was in focus. The birds were flying toward me, at an
> oblique angle, and no matter how I set the autofocus, or how many
> points I used, nothing seemed to work. Complete crap.
>
> --Bob
>
> On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> > to provide both high
> > speed and high precision autofocusing,

I've tried to photograph seagulls with manual focus by setting the focus and
the trying to catch a bird as it passes through the focus zone. It sounds
like it might be easy but it is actually very hard trying to predict when the
bird was going to be in focus. My most successful seagull photos happened
when the were trying to fly against the wind and were basically stationary
relative to me. The one I have on the internet was shot when the sun was
setting.
<http://members.localnet.com/~doug9345/Gull.html >