[OM] Re: To keep the boxes or not to keep

Subject: [OM] Re: To keep the boxes or not to keep
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:54:35 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I thought the original was 128k...

My bad. You're right.

> I'm the only person I know that actually used OS 1.0

I guess we haven't been properly introduced, then. :-)

I even used the Lisa, back when I was paid to evaluate new technology
in Tektronix's Computer Research Laboratory.

My group at Tek, Apple, HP, and DEC were all invited by Xerox to take
a detailed look at their window-n-mouse technology. HP and DEC played
with a Dorado workstation and Smalltalk for a bit, wrote the requisite
report, and did nothing else. Tektronix went on to do its own
implementation of Smalltalk for a few years, and then moved on. Only
Apple continued on with the great research that came out of Xerox's
Palo Alto Research Center... and Microsoft copied the thin veneer of
the GUI, without really implementing the object-oriented innards.

Requisite on-topic info: I no longer have the boxes for the E-3 and
12-60 that I bought today, although I cut out the bar codes.