[OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 an

Subject: [OM] Re: Could I have some hands on opinions of E-3 compared to E-330 and E-1
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:59:14 -0800
The focus of the E-3 is definitely improved. I haven't had a chance to
use it on birds but for normal situations it works and is quick. (my
comparison is an E-1, E-410, and to a lesser extent E-300). Olympus
claims that the E-3 with Zuiko 12-60mm is the fastest autofocus
available. I can't compare to other makes but it is faster than my
mind normally works ... the camera + lens doesn't get in the way, it
is very pleasant to use.

The camera along with the 12-60 is quite large. I noticed Reichmann
carried a 24-105/f4 & 100-400 f5.6 along with the IDsIII to
Madagascar. Although both lenses are nice neither is considered
C*non's sharpest. The 5D supposedly shows the limits of the 24-105 at
the long end. If the camera is so large and heavy that it limits the
lenses you will carry, it might not be a good choice.

The E-3 with 12-60, 7-14, and 50-200 is a very usable package covering
a very wide range. Although I would prefer smaller and lighter the
ergonomics are good and the size/weight reasonable. Things like the
half-press of the shutter release on the E-3 seem nicer than either
the E-410 or E-1. When I got the E-410 instead of the E-510, I was
betting the E-3 would become my general purpose camera while the E-410
would give the desired small size when wanted. I'm very satisfied with
the decision.

Whether the E-3 is worth getting to replace an E-330 probably depends
on how much you use it. If you haul your camera with you nearly all of
the time and/or make significant income from photography, it could
provide enough additional satisfaction to justify the expenditure.

My limited experience with the faster ISO makes me believe the E-3 is
better than the E-1. Chuck(?) pointed out combineZ for creating HDR
images. I've been using it to get wide dynamic range so I can't
compare the E-3 to the E-1. My impression is that the E-3 beats the
E-410 but relevant experience is limited.

Ton's comment about the camera's audible noise is probably more
reserved than my opinion. Although the E-3 isn't a problem, the E-1 is
noticeably more pleasant.

-jeff