[OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Toyota reliability, was: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:09:49 +0100
I totally disagree. While we photo enthusiasts may scoff at their
methods, for the average person who just wants decent family snaps,
their advice is far more reliable than the photo magazines which
obviously are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. Same thing
for cars where things like reliability can be quantified. I do agree
that wine reviews are more difficult since taste is involved.

But overall, I will trust CR or similar magazines (like Motorcycle
Consumer News, which also does not carry advertising) far more than
so-called enthusiast magazines, whose reviews are little more than
thinly disguised advertorials.

Nathan

On 19-dec-2007, at 22:44, Bill Pearce wrote:

>>  How can CR
>> survive in this day and age?
>>
> They have a lightly deserved reputation. I will take seriously
> their tests
> on things like vacuum cleaners, where they pour a certain amount of
> dirt on
> a carpet and vacuum it up, and weigh the results. Otherwise,
> fugddaboudtit.
>
> I was out with friends for dinner, and it was time to order wine. One
> suggested that he used CR ratings for wine buying. I suggested,
> with no
> offense to certain list members, that I'm not interested in geting
> my wine
> advice from a bunch of engineers in a lab. I long ago dropped my
> subscription as too many things that they rate "objectively" can
> only be
> rated subjectively. For other things, the "objective" ratings are
> hostage to
> the strange criteria that they use.
>
> They are, in their own way, the same as the corporations that they
> mistrust.
>
> Bill Pearce

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx