[OM] Re: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?

Subject: [OM] Re: Broken DSLR - worth repairing?
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:57:46 -0500
The '78 buick skylark I had the 3 thin coats of crappy laqueur they
painted it with fell off in sheets. The '67 firebird convertible I had
in the late seventies used a 326 v-8 that was badly designed with small
oil drainback holes that they had to manufacture the care with 7 qt.
oilpans to compensate rather than redesign the casting or drill out the
holes. The block became porous as about 80,000 and would strain the
starter to crank when hot by expanding.

The rochester carburetor sucked, and I saved the car a few times from
catching fire.

My '65 & '66 tbirds and my Lincoln mark III that I dove, (and still
drive, except for the Lincoln that I sold) since 1986 have been
phenomenally safe and efficient cars for what they were meant to do.

As you'll see in a web search, the autolite 4100 4 bbl carburetor was
the best, simplest to work on, reliable carburetor ever designed for any
car, and the Ford 9" rear is legendary.

GM cars are designed by committee, and countless designs compromise
quality and safety throughout the years. Just read John Deloreans "On a
Clear Day You Can See General Motors" covering through the seventies,
and there was another book recently covering GM's crappy design policies
through the 80's and 90's where executives began to go to Toyota, etc.
factories to find out exactly why their cars were far more reliable.
Tried for a couple of years to implent these things, and now have
stopped again.

Judging an entire corporation on industrywide midcentury bad auto design
on the misfortunes of one of Fords worst cost saving designs being the
Capri, and you can miss out on some great stuff (though blissfully
unknowing this).

Personally, I'd despise the Ford company for how intensely, and
publically antisemetic Henry Ford and his family was (like the Mercedes,
BMW, and Volkwagen companies), more than any design or safety issues -
but I don't even do that.