[OM] Re: Now seems to be car quality, was Broken DSLR - worth repairing?

Subject: [OM] Re: Now seems to be car quality, was Broken DSLR - worth repairing? - long
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:02:42 +0000
It was, Winsor, and there is a certain nostalgia abroad at the moment
about the Ford Capri.  The Capri's main attraction was a sporty-
looking shape for the masses.  But it was still a horrid and plastic
Ford.  The Ford Escort was a more sporty machine, really, and far
better looking than the bloated machine I found in the US in the late
80s.  But then most cars in the UK then were pretty horrid.  There was
a Morris Montego, for instance, which was pretty foul a few years
after the Capri.

But, notwithstanding the awfulness of the British car industry in the
60s and 70s, I still find most US cars (and Oz ones, come to that)
pretty horrid in looks and technology.  Even the lovely Corvette
always had pretty foul switchgear.  And now we have ghastly, oversized
Chrysler machines on our streets; that's the little streets which
aren't big enough.  Walt was very proud of the last truck he had, and
he was entitled to have his last blast, but it was a gopping vehicle
by any reasonable measure.  And then to find that there are
conventions of people who love those beasts!

Chris
(who will just have to keep his little Beemer for ever because there
will be no more "car money" ...)

On 20 Dec 2007, at 01:50, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Wasn't the Capri a British Ford?
>
> This is the best and funniest auto review I have ever read and fits in
> with the Ford theme.
>

> By Dan Neil
> LATimes.com
> December 8, 2004
> At a time of general excellence in automotive design and construction,
> when even cheap cars so easily vault buyer expectations, it is a rare
> and perverse pleasure to find a car as certifiably doggy as the
> Mercury Montego.

snip