[OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:35:48 -0800
I think you have set up an impossible set of conditions that rule out
any existing cameras. Here are some thoughts that may help to get an
actual camera.

LCDs are improving. Some are viewable at such a wide angle now that
they are almost as versatile as a tiny, articulated LCD screen and
certainly easier to see under almost any condition.

Most people who are concerned about battery accessibility, just buy
several batteries and charge them before a trip. It is no big deal.
Really.

Any digicam designed to take accessory lenses uses a rigid extender
that solidly mounts in the body and surround the lens. Some have a
lens and a filter holder, but you are talking up market here.

Look for a waterproof camera for one that is dustproof. Olympus makes
a couple as does Pentax. Or just buy a good camera and factor in an
annual cleaning from the manufacturer. Buy from a manufacturer than
supports service to their cameras or pick one that someone like John
Hermanson can service. Or just rig a cover for the camera with a zip
lock bag with a hole in it for the lens, a rubber band and a filter.
Use it when the wind in blowing.

My opinion is that an e-510 would be more rugged than any point and
shoot. Certainly if you are going to hold it by the lens that is true.

Metal is not more rugged than plastic. It is all in how it is used in
the design of the camera.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA