[OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:42:28 -0400

> I think you have set up an impossible set of conditions that rule out
> any existing cameras.

I feared the same thing.

> LCDs are improving. Some are viewable at such a wide angle now that
> they are almost as versatile as a tiny, articulated LCD screen and
> certainly easier to see under almost any condition.

Good point I hadn't really thought of.

> Most people who are concerned about battery accessibility, just buy
> several batteries and charge them before a trip. It is no big deal.
> Really.

That would be okay, unless the batteries are very expensive.

> Any digicam designed to take accessory lenses uses a rigid extender
> that solidly mounts in the body and surround the lens. Some have a
> lens and a filter holder, but you are talking up market here.

That is what I meant, that is, the cheaper P&S  with unprotected telescoping
lens is not what I'm looking for.

> Look for a waterproof camera for one that is dustproof. Olympus makes
> a couple as does Pentax. Or just buy a good camera and factor in an
> annual cleaning from the manufacturer. Buy from a manufacturer than
> supports service to their cameras or pick one that someone like John
> Hermanson can service. Or just rig a cover for the camera with a zip
> lock bag with a hole in it for the lens, a rubber band and a filter.
> Use it when the wind in blowing.

The problem goes beyond just the wind blowing. When its dry, and travelling
on the country roads, sometimes the dust is just unreal. I've seen several
fellow travellers with P&S cameras, both film and digitial, seize up in one
or two days. Either the lens won't extend, or gate at the front of the lens
won't open, etc. The C5050 with the metal tube and filter attached has been
no problem, even after several trips.

> My opinion is that an e-510 would be more rugged than any point and
> shoot. Certainly if you are going to hold it by the lens that is true.
>
> Metal is not more rugged than plastic. It is all in how it is used in
> the design of the camera.

Maybe. But the pop up flash and the exposed plastic lens with zoom rings and
focus rings (14-42 on the one I was handling) didn't look like the kind of
thing that would work for me. The way I get the kids involved and get most
of the pictures, is by showing them their pics on the screen. Sometimes with
the C5050, I've had to wipe off a lot of greasy hand prints, and sometimes
I've had to hold on to the camera with a pretty tight grip, but it works for
getting cooperation for more pics.

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA

Wayne