[OM] RRS Lever Clamp - works with Zuiko shift lenses

Subject: [OM] RRS Lever Clamp - works with Zuiko shift lenses
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:21:16 -0500
Thanks Jeff,
I've been warned about this and no major mishap yet.? I tried to remove the
clamp? by hand on the V2 and met with resistance and then noted this FAQ on
their site:

"Why can I not remove the quick release clamp from my Acratech ballhead?

We have found through testing that using the proper torque on the screw that
connects the ball to the clamp provides a much more rigid connection and
minimizes flex. We use a special vice with the jaws shaped like a ball and a
wrench shaped like the quick release clamp to properly torque the screw. We
also add a drop of Locktite to make sure they stay together.

If you want to order your ballhead with the clamp loose, please send us an
e-mail after placing your order and let us know. "

There are several lever clamp options also.? Wonder which you chose and?if you
also think about trading in the miniclamp used on the MPR?
Mike

After dropping my E-410 + Zuiko 7-14mm on a street I decided it would
be cost effective to replace my Acratech clamp with a Really Right
Stuff lever clamp. I had been hesitating for at least a year in part
because of doubts the shift lenses would clear the clamp.

Both Zuiko shift lenses clear the clamp with about a 1/4" to spare. I
also quickly tested 4 Kirk adapter plates. Three of them worked fine,
the fourth slips in the clamp. The Kirk plate which slips, is about
2.5" long with a hole for the macro flash bracket at the front (no
number marked on it). The PZ-17 I have for OM bodies, and the recently
purchased PZ-31 I use for my E-410 both work fine.

The RRS L-plate for the E-3 and the bi-directional plates such as the
B-6 don't have stop screws to limit how far the plate will slide. With
the quick positive clamping of the lever clamp, they should be fine.

The RRS lever clamp is a joy to use. The lever action is smooth with
good feedback when it is locked.

-jeff
(The Zuiko 7-14mm picked up a couple small scratches on it's hood - no
other injuries o

http://webmail.aol.com