[OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:52:04 -0800
Jay Drew wrote:
>> Any  comments on lenses you've found useful or non-useful with this  device?
>>
> I have found it an easy method to get to 2:1 behind a Kiron 105.

Interesting idea! Does it really go to 2:1? I'd guess more like 1.5:1,
based on the physical extension available and the focal length of the Kiron
> I don't use it that much behind a 50mm to get to 1:1, the Kiron will do that
> for
> me.  I believe Moose thought it was pretty good as a doubler, but not in the
> same league as a 2xA.

Nothing else I've tried is as good as the 2xA. The Viv TeleMacro isn't
perfect, but a perfect lightweight carry along to extend the capability
of a minimal kit with only modest compromise.

The Kiron is a big, heavy lens. The Viv is small and light. Pop a 50mm
on it and you have something close to the Kiron in the center and not
bad in the corners. Out in the field, the corners are always OOF from
DOF anyway, so what's not to like?

Moose