[OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
From: "Dharma Singh" <dharmasingh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:30:30 +0100
2007/12/23, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [snip]
>
>  > Didn't know Scotland and England had different money...I though the
> UK  had
>  > the same money everywhere in the UK.
>
> It's the same name for the currency (just like Canada), but in the
> U.K.'s case, there are reciprocal binding agreements which set the value
> such that one Scot pound is equal to 1 English pound.  They're
> practically used interchangeably (or at least they were when I was last
> there in the spring/summer of '07).  You know they're fine to use
> interchangeably when you ask a waitress whether your Scots pounds are
> good in London and she says "Well, if you don't want them, luv, I'll
> take them off your hands for you."  ;-)  She was right, of course -- we
> used the two currencies in London and Cambridge without a hitch.  Nobody
> even blinked.

See my remark about the National Bank of Scotland and the Bank of England.
It's sheer politeness or more likely business thinking they've
accepted your Scottish money in London and Cambridge, with or without
a blink.
Ever tried to spend your Scottish Pounds in an 'Irish pub' in London?

In the European Union though we have to accept each others Euros. The
coins 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 & 50 cents, and 1 & 2 Euro are different for
every country. The shape and the 'tails' of the same value are equal,
the 'heads' are individual designs by every country.
As far as I know the banknotes are the same.

Not every country of the EU has the Euro as their currency, apart from
the UK, Sweden and Denmark still have their old currencies and a lot
of new EU countries like Hungary are not jet allowed to adopt the
Euro.

All these different coins are honey in the pot for collector's. Some
are quite rare [in mint condition] for example: the coins from The
Vatican City [yes, it's where the Roman Catholic  Pope lives, and is
an independent tiny state] and the 1 & 2 cents coins of Finland,
because after an initial edition, they very soon decided not to use
them anymore and choose to make the 5 cents as their tiniest Euro
coin.

The following countries are member of the EU [membership since]
Austria, 1995
Belgium, 1951
Bulgaria, 2007
Check Rep., 2004