[OM] Re: First results with E-3 and 7-14

Subject: [OM] Re: First results with E-3 and 7-14
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:47:02 +0000
On 23/12/2007, Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/23/07 5:09 PM, "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > ... Clifton Observatory...
>
> Is the Observatory's camera obscura still open to the public? I haven't been
> there since 1966.

It was closed that day, and there's some building work going on around
the back (scaffolding up, fenced off), but in principle, yes, i.e. it
will be again when the work's finished.  First time I went there, with
sister & grandmother back in '72, it was free to get in and there were
no guides around.  We wandered in and discovered it by accident.  It
was a bit like developing my first print, seeing the image in the big
dish appear (I was 10 at the time).  We had to play
spot-the-red-mini-on-the-bridge before we convinced grandma it was in
real time and not some sort of film.  Happy days.