[OM] now OT money talk

Subject: [OM] now OT money talk
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:20:16 -0400
For some reason they wouldn't believe the $2 Cdn bill was real money. Maybe
it was the color. Of course we're talking about getting a couple hours away
from the border. Even now, its pretty hard to get them to accept any
Canadian bills, whereas I've never heard of a Canadian merchant not
accepting American money. But when you think about it, that is quite
understandable.

In Bolivia, American money is accepted as standard currency, whereas they
wouldn't have a clue what Canadian money is. The comical part is, they will
only accept American money if it is in near perfect condition. Money
changers on the street will refuse bills that are worn, or has even the most
minute tear, or creased too much. I've had them refuse several. Even more
comical, is that most of their paper bills are so worn, dirty, taped
together, etc., you hate to touch the stuff. Its especially bad when the
money smells like sour milk, cause you know....

Bolivians have a 5 boliviano coin that is made of two metals the same color
as the Canadian $2 coin. I think its made in Canada for them, or so I was
told. Most of them are surprised to hear that.

Wayne