[OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?

Subject: [OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 06:51:10 -0800
Having had both I prefer the light box that is flat and smooth rather
than the tilted kind with ridges. It has the advantage of viewing
other sizes than slides. Most of the advantage in light boxes seems to
be the quality of the light, i.e., its light temperature and the
evenness of illumination. Light temperature can be taken care of in
the scanned slide and evenness of illumination does not really affect
a single slide. It is more pleasant to see them evenly lit with the
right temperature light though.

Usually people use a 4X loupe that will take in the whole slide to get
an overall view of the impact of the slide. A higher power loupe,
about an 8X or 10X, is also useful because it will magnify smaller
details which you can check for sharpness of details if you do up to
medium size prints. If it looks good under 8X it is certainly worth
the time to scan.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA