[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:13:17 +1030
On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 12:12:24AM -0800, Jan Steinman wrote:
> But if Firewire is no better than USB, why do your PCs even bother?
> Seems like an unnecessary expense in a market where everything is
> supposed to be so cheap. Is it because most videocams use Firewire?

The only PC's I've ever seen with '1394 in my little backwater are
laptops & some mini-PC mobos (interestingly, it seems to come when DVI
video is on-board). That said though, most PC's have a cutout in the tin
somewhere, mine has a generic homebrew IrDA adapter - for my old mobile
phone- poking out of it :).

I'd love to have a play with it, but I've never actually  seen a '1394
device 'in the flesh'.

Thus the slower USB 1.0 port standard becomes the lowest common
denominator & the prices of stuff become ridiculously low like all the
other junk (which, to be honest, makes me - & I guess all the other PC
users -  happy!!) & the drivers appear for UNIX/Linux quickly.

More importantly (to me!!) however, does the device have a RS-232 port?
most do not these days... the REAL lowest common denominator is now a
thing of the past...  :)  sure, you can add on a USB (but only if you
have windows in 90% of cases) or a (gasp) ethernet one, but that is a
serious nuisance...

davidt