[OM] Re: Unix security [was: OT - firewire]

Subject: [OM] Re: Unix security [was: OT - firewire]
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:21:03 +0000
There's a chap called McKinnon, a Brit, who continues to fight
extradition to the USA.  He is charged with "hacking" into various
government networks in the US, including the Pentagon.  Apparently he
had no trouble with this "hacking" as several passwords on security
systems were set to default.

It's not many years ago that the Department of Defense (sic) found
that connecting internal networks with the WAN laid it open to
intruders.  So few people, in positions of authority, in government
understand networks that I should not be at all surprised if
elementary vulnerabilities were still around ...

Chris