[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:37:36 -0800
> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
>  On that note -- what's a good equivalent to Irfanview for the Mac?
> (by
> which I mean a free image viewing app with a "next" button)
>
>  It's painful watching my wife browse photos from a memory card on her
> iBook because she has to click on Finder, click on the image, look at
> the picture in Preview, click back on Finder, open the next image, and
> so forth...

If you upgrade to Leopard, there's "Cover Flow" and "Quick Look" to
the rescue.

Select any image in a folder, press space, you get a nice-sized
preview image, with a button to expand it to full-screen if you like.
Pressing the left-right arrows goes to the previous and next images in
the folder.

Cover Flow is even nicer, although the previews are smaller. Press
CMD-4 to get into Cover Flow mode in the Finder.

> I really miss having "next" and "prev" buttons... is there some way to
> do this with Preview which I'm missing?

Yes, even without upgrading to Leopard. You can multi-select as many
images as you wish, then open them in Preview, and use the arrow keys
to page through them. Preview also has a "Slideshow" mode that shows
them at full-screen -- arrows work here, as well.

:::: I believe nuclear power answers a lot of our issues. It certainly
answers the environmental issue. -- George W. Bush ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::