[OM] Re: Sony 357/SR44W batteries - 20 still available.

Subject: [OM] Re: Sony 357/SR44W batteries - 20 still available.
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 02:31:33 -0500
Yeah but the repair cost far exceeds what I'm willing to pay for fixing
these things. Not that its excessive compared to what photo gear normally
costs to fix, but I just don't think old Selenium meters are a good repair
investment. I have a Sekonic L-508 and a Gossen Ultra Spot II (which took me
FOREVER to save the money for when I was in college!). Both are really
better meters than the Westons and neither of them uses batteries quickly so
I have never had one die in the field so that I was left meterless.

I think the old weston meters are neat and I have a couple of them I have
collected at flea markets for $5 or so each, but they're obsolete. I use a
spotmeter 99% of the time when I use a handheld meter and I use it 100% of
the time in my OM-4 bodies. That said, I would love to find a working Ranger
9. I have always thought that was a COOL meter for some reason. That and an
SEI photometer. Those come up on ebay occassionally but they never work and
are expensive.

If I were not poor, I'd collect old stuff like that. I have a lot of
expensive stuff but most of it was bought when I was in high school or
college, living off my parents, so that I could use money I earned on gear.
Since graduating college, I have never earned much money so I only buy
things I can get CHEAP. My digital SLRs are the only exception to that I've
made and that's cause I needed them for work that paid, and they paid for
themselves pretty fast. My film cameras are for my personal work, not for
money earning, unfortunately :(

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design