[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:42:47 +1100
It's a self-descriptive title for a particular kind of fallacy - as I
said of the 'non causa, pro causa' type
Which means 'no cause of the type proposed' I think.
The particular fallacy is known by that name.
In  proper English you could call it the 'Forgot the Umbrella' Fallacy
'It always rains when I forget my umbrella so that must be what is
causing it.'
Latin is used for some of the oldest identified such as Aristotle's
thirteen.
It's a jargon of course, used to exclude the riff-raff.
Some are named after their classic example, like Flew's 'No True
scotsman' fallacy.
Or the delightful 'If by whiskey' fallacy, a wonderful piece of
sophistry.
There are so many Fallacies with so many confusing names that I may
have to wallpaper a classroom with them.
I'll have to break them down into groups - Formal, Informal, Red
Herring and so on.
The whole Fallacy business has got out of hand.
Philosophers use them like five-finger exercises.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx