[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:19:09 +1100
Ah yes, the old 'Advantageous Real Estate fallacy'. :)
The best defence against fallacious thinking is that sensible ways of
thinking are often technically fallacious.
For instance, David Hume pointed out that just because the Sun has
risen every day in the history of the Earth, you could not argue with
certainty that it will rise tomorrow.
This 'Probability Fallacy' would have us accept that just because
every business venture that Harry has started has gone belly up,
there is no reason for us to refuse to invest in his next one. Yeah,
sure!
Of course, you could accuse said professor of the 'Fallacy fallacy' -
the assumption that because the argument is flawed, the conclusion
necessarily must be wrong.

Many old and new high schools here named or renamed themselves after
the street they were in or anything else that sounded nice and
designated themselves as 'colleges' - this to compete with the
private schools which had always done that. Consequently no-one knows
where the hell they art. ("Box Forest College? Where the hell is
that? You're joking, there hasn't been a Box tree left standing
around there in fifty years!")
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx