[OM] Re: Digital Zuiko 70-300mm?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Zuiko 70-300mm?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:44:08 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> Who knows?  This may be exactly what Oly wanted.
>>

> Olympus has always had back-order issues with most of their specialty
> lenses. I think they must take Ferrari's attitude--limit the
> availability to keep demand/price high.

I wonder. Might it also mirror their past experience with OM lenses,
where sales of some specialty lenses meant it took decades to sell out
the results of one production run? Didn't some brand new 8mm fisheyes
actually go bad with fungus without ever being sold? Clearly production
of the OM-4T had ceased years before they actually ran out of stock and
discontinued it.

Institutional memory is a funny thing. It can be totally forgetful in
one direction and remember forever in another. If they spoke English, I
can almost hear the discussion in the meetings where they decide that
the risk of excessive inventory if sales are over estimated is greater
than the risk of lost sales from slow delivery of new stock if sales are
underestimated.

Accounting and accountability practices also affect decision making.
Excessive inventory is obvious. Lost sales over target are not.

I would guess that they made only as many of the kit lenses for the
E-330/400/500 as they planned to package for sale as kits, or very few
more.

Moose