[OM] Re: Olympus billboard

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus billboard
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:58:43 +1100
Those of us in the Southern hemisphere object most strenuously to the
Winterval name and indeed to any suggestion whatsover that any of
those festivals, feasts, rituals, commercially generated nonsenses
or minor religious celebrations that may have wandered in there
accidentally, actually occur during the colder part of the year. This
is deeply offensive to the significant populations south of the
abitrary equatorial division which is a mere cultural invention and
simply another example of discrimination by majority northern
populations.

We will be organising a boycott of-
- tacky Christmas cards featuring snowflakes, snow or snow style tinsel,
- Santas wearing anything that will induce sweating in temperatures
of 35deg.C or less,
- hot meat and gravy lunches,
- warm drinks,
- Pine trees, holly or other invasive weeds,
- horrible music with any mention of snow, frost or cold temperatures,
- anything white and fluffy, including cats.
- Reindeer.

We demand equal representation in the north with -
- Cards depicting beach scenes and bushfires,
- Santas in board shorts and zinc cream,
- Christmas songs about getting pissed and sunburned,
- Prawn and salad lunches, or at least burned snags, pies and sauce,
- Pavlova. Of course.
- festive beer-drinking contests,
- decorated miniature eucalypt trees, or native pines in NZ I suppose,
- Kangaroos.

Unless these demands are met within a five year time frame, action
will be taken. As Santa passes over here at least ten hours before
Europe and fifteen before the US, we'll shoot the bugger out of the
sky. So there.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx