[OM] Re: Olympus billboard

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus billboard
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:32:18 +0800
Hahahahaha.....how can I not roll on the ground laughing when I read your
rant, Andrew!

A merry Summer's (!) Christmas to you and hope you keep up your caustic
humour for time eternity. In the mean time, I am STILL waiting to get more
drooling stuff from you. The mailbox from 'way down South' has been filling
out with cobwebs instead....and it's time we Aussies show them a thing or
two eh.  :)

Cheers

K.

On 30/12/2007, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Those of us in the Southern hemisphere object most strenuously to the
> Winterval name and indeed to any suggestion whatsover that any of
> those festivals, feasts, rituals, commercially generated nonsenses
> or minor religious celebrations that may have wandered in there
> accidentally, actually occur during the colder part of the year. This
> is deeply offensive to the significant populations south of the
> abitrary equatorial division which is a mere cultural invention and
> simply another example of discrimination by majority northern
> populations.
>
> We will be organising a boycott of-
> - tacky Christmas cards featuring snowflakes, snow or snow style tinsel,
> - Santas wearing anything that will induce sweating in temperatures
> of 35deg.C or less,
> - hot meat and gravy lunches,
> - warm drinks,
> - Pine trees, holly or other invasive weeds,
> - horrible music with any mention of snow, frost or cold temperatures,
> - anything white and fluffy, including cats.
> - Reindeer.
>
> We demand equal representation in the north with -
> - Cards depicting beach scenes and bushfires,
> - Santas in board shorts and zinc cream,
> - Christmas songs about getting pissed and sunburned,
> - Prawn and salad lunches, or at least burned snags, pies and sauce,
> - Pavlova. Of course.
> - festive beer-drinking contests,
> - decorated miniature eucalypt trees, or native pines in NZ I suppose,
> - Kangaroos.
>
> Unless these demands are met within a five year time frame, action
> will be taken. As Santa passes over here at least ten hours before
> Europe and fifteen before the US, we'll shoot the bugger out of the
> sky. So there.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 30/12/2007, at 11:01 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
>
> > For example, the great "Birmingham City Council renames
> > Christmas so as not to offend religious minorities" hoax of a few
> > years ago

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox