[OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:06:26 -0800
Dan Mitchell wrote:
> Garth Wood wrote:
>
>> There are more formal tests I can do with the E-3, and I also suspect
>> that part of the problem is that you need to turn off all the other
>> focus points as well as restrict the centre focus point to its narrowest
>> angle of acceptance (setting AF Sensitivity to "Small") in order to get
>> the most accurate focus.
>>

>   Not just accuracy -- I've found that my E-3 sometimes won't autofocus
> at _all_ if I don't set AF sensitivity to "small", which makes me wonder
> why there's the non-small setting, to be honest.

As in my reply to Chuck, because they want it to be a tool adaptable to
many uses. To do so, they have to trust the user to use settings
appropriate for the use at hand.

This sort of thing is part of the reason the E-3 in a pro camera and the
other models since the E-1 are not. It can do more and requires more
from the user to get the most out of it.

Obviously, the guy with the batteries should go back to his E-510. It's
tuned for average use, but with fewer capabilities for the more
knowledgeable user.

He may well have the AF settings wrong for the subject. But beyond that,
that particular subject is accommodated perfectly on the E-3 with live
view and enlarged MF. You can nail the focus and DOF precisely.

Other posts in that thread may indicate a problem with the E-3,
particularly with the old version 50-200, but the battery shots just
indicate user error.

Moose