[OM] Re: Unrelated, but hopefully helpful to some members of the List

Subject: [OM] Re: Unrelated, but hopefully helpful to some members of the List
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:14:46 -0800
>**SIGH**
>
>Well, I've just blown most of Saturday trying to re-acquire connectivity
>amongst the various elements of my LAN.  The problem, as I eventually
>discovered, is that I installed the newest version of McAfee's virus
>scanning/security product called "McAfee Security Center" (because their
>simpler product, Viruscan, is no longer available), which promptly
>lobotomized my LAN in the name of Internet security.

Garth, I feel your pain.
I was attempting to configure Mcafee on a Christmas laptop.  It came with a 90
day freebie.  All was going well when I made the mistake of creating "Mcaffee
Accounts" rather than just running with Window's user accounts.  All of a sudden
I was locked out from administrative rights.  Had to remove he program.
Fortunately, I could get it free from Comcast and had to reinstall.  Getting it
to block the porn on my kids laptop was not staight forward.  But I did get mine
going, it's running on Vista.

I've got Zone Alarm on another machine, it wasn't as byzantine as Mcafee but it
really requires more input from the user to decide which programs it will allow
usage to the net.  Lots of pop up message asking what to do as it learns.

And I gave up on Norton.  The copy on my machine crashed.  I went through
program uninstall, but could not re-install.  When through all of Symantec's
help desk with the special tool to uninstall ALL symantec programs.  I still
could not reload the program, it kept telling me to uninstall the existing one
first.  So unless I wanted to trip the light fantastic and go galumphing through
the registry, I decided to go for cowardace and switch to another product.

Jay