[OM] Re: Scanning Query for you

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning Query for you
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:53:39 -0800
> From: "Jon Mitchell" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Looking at the DNG files from my E330 (raw files, converted to dng
> with
> adobe dng converter), they are coming in at 3136x2353 pixels (7.4MP).
> With adobe rgb, 16 bits / channel, and 300ppi settings when I open
> them
> in Photoshop.  The file size is around 18-20 MB.

Something wrong here. If you have two bytes per channel, and three
channels per colour, you should have 44.4 MB:
        7.5 Megapixels times 3 (for R, G, and B channels) times 2 (for two
bytes per channel) = 44.4 Megabytes

> What am I missing here ?  How can 2 files with almost identical number
> of pixels, same other details, etc., be so vastly different in size ?

I suspect your first example is only one byte per channel.

:::: Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it,
poorly. -- Henry Spencer ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Services ::::