[OM] Re: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Subject: [OM] Re: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 00:33:34 -0800 (PST)
"Is there a marketed size that will just fit into the CT60 pack"
Not exactly,

I actually have some officially made Metz cases which were for MetzCT60's NiCd
battery packs. You
used to be able to buy the empty cases without cells in. I just wired in the Li
cells and added a
short circuit protection PTC,pretty simple. (The old low capacity NiCd's they
used to ship never
worked well)
To get the fast charge you need a different high power charger, currently I do
a fast charge with
a high power bench supply, but am adapting an old supply I have kicking around.
A good  well
regulated 6V SLA charger could be used with care. There are also special
purpose chargers
available to RC modelers, adapted for these cells.
To get the really high cycle life you probably need a balancer circuit in the
charger, or in the
battery pack. I will eventually add one, since I am making some for something
else I am building.

Without the battery cases you could hard wire the cells into the CT60, but you
would need an
external connector to fast chage them, and it would not be so convenient.

One big difference in use, is the recycle time hardly changes at all during
discharge , so you
don't get extended cycle times near battery exhaustion, to warn you the pack is
almost empty.
Recycle times are about 0.5sec faster, compared with freshly charged SLA, but
the difference is
only really noticible as battery gets depleted and the SLA times increase.

Tim Hughes