[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with Ba

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:04:29 -0500
There's an interesting "Myth Busters" episode regarding the Hindenberg.
  They concluded that the rapidity of the fire had to do more with the
flammability of the coating on the fabric covering of the frame than
with hydrogen.  They built scale replicas of the Hindenberg perhaps 5
meters long with and without the coating that was used on the fabric.
The filled them with hydrogen and set them ablaze.  Hydrogen alone
burned to be sure but progressed much more slowly than the coated model
which burned at about the same rate as the real thing.

But I still don't want a hydrogen car.  I think it's totally impractical
from a distribution standpoint if nothing else.

Chuck Norcutt