[OM] Re: Unrelated, but hopefully helpful to some members of the List

Subject: [OM] Re: Unrelated, but hopefully helpful to some members of the List
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:29:15 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:

[snip]

> I've got Zone Alarm on another machine, it wasn't as byzantine as Mcafee but
> it
> really requires more input from the user to decide which programs it will
> allow
> usage to the net.  Lots of pop up message asking what to do as it learns.

I use ZoneAlarm as a complement to a virus scanner (I'm now evaluating
BitDefender, which so far seems to be doing precisely what I want and
isn't diddling all my settings "behind the scenes"); between the two
different products, I haven't had a single virus up until my McAfee
expired and I got the new "improved" Security Center.  Then it appears
to have missed a bot that BitDefender found and cleaned immediately.

> And I gave up on Norton.  The copy on my machine crashed.  I went through
> program uninstall, but could not re-install.  When through all of Symantec's
> help desk with the special tool to uninstall ALL symantec programs.  I still
> could not reload the program, it kept telling me to uninstall the existing one
> first.  So unless I wanted to trip the light fantastic and go galumphing
> through
> the registry, I decided to go for cowardace and switch to another product.

I *despise* Norton.  My neighbour is constantly complaining how slow his
machine is -- and no wonder, he's got the Norton equivalent of McAfee's
Security Center on the machine.  Scans everything constantly, hogs
system resources, etc.  Yikes.

Garth