[OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:43:36 -0500
Or dogs.

I'm still struggling with the AF on the D3. It seems not to like my
dog, a yellow lab, running directly towards me in the snow. At first
I thought it was shutter speed, which I think was part of the
problem. Fast moving dog (for a lab <g>) needs more than 1/160. Then
I started moving that little selector switch around and that didn't
seem to make any difference. Finally, on manual mode, with a high
shutter speed and enough f/stop, the images started to sharpen up.
But at ISO 2500 and 3200. Not that you can tell on the D3. <g>

So, I'm wondering if it was light colored dog running directly at me
in snow that was the problem. Or am I a bit off on how much shutter
speed and DOF I need for that kind of tracking. Or if it was the
24-70 lens. The dog was starting about 40 meters out and coming right
at me. Last frame fired about about three meters. That kind of
closing has to be different than, say, a telephoto lens aimed at
stock cars closing from half a mile at an angle and never getting
closer than a couple hundred meters. Or birds flying overhead so the
panning is side to side, rather than up to down, as I was doing.

I was keeping her in the center focus point the whole way, just
trying to get a series of sharp images. (And I'm not complaining
about the camera, 'cause I know it's up to the job. This is strictly
operator error.)

That said, all list AF wisdom greatly appreciated to see if I can
dampen that learning curve.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com