[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:57:23 +1100
Yeah the whole scenario seems pretty pointless:

sunlight -> electricity -> electrolysis -> hydrogen -> fuel cell -> electricity
-> move vehicle

what about:

sunlight -> electricity -> battery -> move vehicle

(but you still have the problem of an enormous area of cells to collect the
required amount of sunlight)

...Wayne

> Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 From somewhere I have a note that it takes about 33 kwh to produce
enough hydrogen by electrolysis to equal the energy equivalent of a
gallon of gasoline.  Assuming 1000 watts/sq. meter as the incident solar
radiation, 10% average cell efficiency over 10 hours of light (I think
all generous assumptions, especially for the northeast US) that gives 1
kwh per square meter/day.  Therefore, the home electrolysis station
would have to have a 33 square meter area to produce the energy
equivalent of 1 gallon/day.  If the entire roof of my house could be
given over to solar cells I could make the hydrogen equivalent of about
6 gallons of gas/day.  I don't think it's going to make it.

Chuck Norcutt

Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Honda is using its own demonstration unit, a solar powered water
> molecule splitter/pump that only a water connection.It really makes
> distribution a non-issue. Of course future water shortages are.
>
> http://world.honda.com/news/2003/c031002.html
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, CA
> USA
>

> On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> Most gasoline in the US is shipped via pipeline.  Distribution of
>> ethanol in the US doesn't extend much beyond the midwest (where it's
>> grown) because it can't be shipped via the existing pipe network and
>> the
>> existing truck fleet is inadequate to handle the volume which is
>> only a
>> fraction of that for gasoline.  I suspect hydrogen will be equally
>> hampered.  LPG is shipped here by truck and rail but the demand for
>> LPG
>> is substantially less than that for gasoline

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx