[OM] Re: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Subject: [OM] Re: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:17:10 -0800
> From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I noticed that someone in the battery industry thinking logically
> would
> make an AA sized cell of this type with just enough electrolyte to be
> sure they are at least 1.5 Volts...

It's non-trivial to change the terminal voltage of a battery cell. It
has to do with the chemistry, not with some variable that can be
changed simply.

That's why lead-acid batteries come in multiples of 2V, and NiCDs come
in increments of 1.25V. Most lithium are going to have a
characteristic voltage of 3V or more, and there isn't much an engineer
can do about it.

On the other hand, there's 1.5V lithium cells in AA and AAA sizes. I
suspect they've diddled the chemistry with an electropositive anode to
"subtract" 1.5V off the normal 3V that you'd get from lithium
chemistry. Maybe Tim Hughes knows...

::::A revolution is interesting insofar as it avoids like the plague
the plague it promised to heal. -- Daniel Berrigan
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org>