[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with Ba

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:48:55 +0000
On 02/01/2008, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wot, it's difficult to hold the stuff down?
> I would have thought that the main problem is very low energy yield
> for bulk.
> LPG is way down on petrol and methane even lower so I would assume
> that H2 would lack ooomf to say the least.
> Andrew Fildes

The heat of combustion of hydrogen is surprisingly high : 143 KJ per
gram, compared to octane at 48 KJ per gram.  Problem is that 1 g of
hydrogen at 0C and atmospheric pressure is about 11 litres; you'd get
58g of butane in that volume under the same conditions, or about 10kg
of octane (because it's liquid).  Hydrogen also has a very low boiling
point so transportation as a liquid would mean some serious cooling
and massive losses through boil-off.  It's small molecular size and
weight also mean it will leak through gaps that no other gas can
escape through,

Storing it in big bags at low pressure is about the only way to deal
with the stuff, I reckon.