[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:00:00 -0500
Yes, I'm aware that modern solar cells are capable of 20% efficiency or
better but that's only if the incident rays are perpendicular to the
surface.  Maintaining that efficiency throughout the entire day would
require a steerable array to keep it continually pointed at the sun.
So, given that I'm not likely to be steering my roof, I was assuming a
high efficiency cell but discounting its average efficiency over a 10
hour period as the sun angle changes.  Whether my 10% guesstimate for
the average is reasonable or not I haven't a clue.  But it's probably
close enough that the conclusion about not collecting enough power for
my two cars from the sunlight incident on my roof is probably still correct.

Chuck Norcutt