[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries,

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries,
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:36:01 -0800 (PST)
> Exactly! The same goes for ethanol, which by various studies
> appears to have an energy gain of unity or less -- it may take
> more energy (from fossil fuel) to produce than it contains.

Those particular "various studies" have long since been
debunked--especially when you consider that the distiller's grains
are still usable as feed for our critters we eat. So, all that corn
isn't exactly going to waste. Oh, and all those critters are
providing wonderful fertilizer to reduce the need for chemical
nitrogen input. In fact, there has been a huge increase in hog
production here JUST for the fertilizer. Turns out they are very
productive fertilizer generators.

However, your basic premise is correct. It is a wasteful use of a
resource. But, we have the capability to grow whatever is needed to
feed the world many times over.  It is still a distribution issue.

Switchgrass and other materials like that are capable of being turned
into fuels and once the market demands those materials, the farmers
will be more than happy to step up and grow them. They couldn't care
less what they grow as long as they can make a living doing so.

Growing regions like Iowa, Illinois and Indiana have an extremely
dangerous monoculture with almost exclusive production of corn and
soybeans. Diversifying is very important as all it takes is for one
tiny little bug or fungus to evolve and it's all over but the
shouting.

AG

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.