[OM] EU VAT refunds was Re: [OT]B+W filters

Subject: [OM] EU VAT refunds was Re: [OT]B+W filters
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:02:05 -0000
There is one exception per Article 26a of the EC Sixth VAT Directive - VAT
registered traders buying and selling used goods may opt to use the
so-called "margin scheme".  Their VAT liability is calculated on their total
turnover less the cost of the purchases.  There is no VAT charged on the
individual items they sell, and VAT must not be shown on the invoice.

I know of at least one reputable UK trader who refused a VAT credit for just
that reason - but at least he explained it!

--
Piers