[OM] Re: Fwd: Is lower ISO always lower noise?--perhaps not

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Is lower ISO always lower noise?--perhaps not
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:21:13 -0500
Sorry for all the abbreviations and acronyms--trying to save a few key
strokes at work, doing more than I should at one time.
FM with the link provided obviously is the  fredmiranda forum.
I did relocate another example of similar testing for the rightfully
skeptical Chuck:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/canon_1ds3_noise.html

I wonder how other manufacturers handle the fractional stop ISO
adjustment.  Not sure I would wish to use them until it was clear they
did not use the same apparently flawed strategy.

Mike FSA Gordon  ("full stop adjuster" for those w/o the unabridged
abbreviation key)

But for all the chatter there it doesn't seem as though anyone else has
tried to empirically verify the claim.  I guess I'm not worried about
it
  though.  I don't think I've ever (deliberately at least) taken a shot
at some intermediate ISO level.  I change ISO in full stop incremements
and do any exposure diddling with aperture or shutter speed.  Changing
ISO is too fiddly on a 5D (or an A1) to bother with 1/3 stop
adjustments.

Chuck Norcutt
http://webmail.aol.com